BioSafe Switch-Glass Privacy Windows
BioSafe® Switch-Glass Privacy Windows
- Versatile laminated panels with tempered-glass outer layers become conventional viewing windows when energized, opaque privacy panels when de-energized
- Forms a curtain wall to provide patient privacy in healthcare facilities
- Ideal for on-demand viewing of sensitive or high-security operations inside medical, pharmaceutical, aerospace and other manufacturing operations
- Available in BioSafe® framed and frameless designs for use in Terra modular cleanrooms or conventional walls of any thickness (more information)
- Select standard sizes below or specify custom panes in any size or shape
BioSafe Switch-Glass Privacy Windows provide an elegant, energy-saving way to alternate between viewing windows and privacy panels in a host of industrial, research and government applications.
Operated via a wired switch or WiFi remote control, these laminated panels include a liquid crystal layer that provides 97% light transmission when activated by 65V current. When de-energized, the panel switches to a partially opaque appearance that provides full privacy. The dual-side tempered-glass lamination ensures the same characteristics, including smooth, chemical-resistant surfaces, of standard windows, making these panels easy to clean.
- An on-demand window for high-security commercial operations: ideal for training or customer viewing of operations that would normally remain private
- Patient privacy in healthcare facilities: Convenient, easy-to-activate alternative to cumbersome curtains
- Boardrooms, conference rooms, executive offices: adds convenient display/privacy viewing modes
- Rear-projection display panel for broadcast, entertainment or commercial presentations
- Forms an interactive video wall with addition of touch sensors
- Call Terra to discuss your application!
Frameless Window Design (for BioSafe Cleanrooms)
Framed Window Design (for conventional rooms)
- Glass Type: All laminated, annealed, heat/chemical strengthened, tempered
- Interior Window: 5/16" (8 mm) or 7/16" (11 mm)
- Door: 9/16" (14 mm)
- Exterior: 1" (25 mm) insulating glass unit (3/16" tempered outer glass + 3/8" airspace + 7/16" clear laminated glass)
- Size: Up to 72" x 145" (1,828.6 mm x 3,683 mm)
- Shape: Any shape, including holes anywhere
- Environmental Storage: -20°C to 70°C (-4°F to 158°F)
- Operation: -10°C to 70°C (14°F to 158°F)
- Electrical *:
- Voltage: 120VAC/60Hz to power supply; operates on 65VAC ± 5 volts AC
- Current: less than 20 mA/ft2
- Power: less than 1 watt/ft2
- Switching Time: Approx. 100 milliseconds at room temperature
- Optical Transmission: 75% view angle approx. 140° scattering effectiveness approx. 1 inch
- Life: Greater than 10 years (indoors); over 3.5 million switches
* For all fixed panel installation, a separate Power Supply shall be provided for each 60 square feet or fraction thereof. Power source of 110VAC, 60Hz electricity must be supplied from a GFI circuit. The power supply should be connected to an accessible standard double junction box connected to ground continuity. Power supply: Panels may be connected in parallel up to 60 square feet total area per single power supply.
The glass uses less than one watt per square foot in the "ON" (clear) state. No electricity is consumed in the "OFF" (translucent) state. The glass can be controlled with either a single or multiple switches or a remote controller.